The Cost of Our Freedom Foundation, Inc., was formed for charitable purposes and incorporated on February 26, 2014. The Cost of Our Freedom Foundation, Inc., is a nonprofit organization, established in Martin County, Florida. The Board of Directors meets at least quarterly, but as often as necessary to conduct the business of the organization. The organization’s activities will be funded through contributions and fundraising as outlined in the fundraising plan. Revenue raised will be used to achieve the organization’s purpose which is:
The Purpose of The Cost of Our Freedom Foundation, Inc., is to provide financial assistance directly to military veterans, families of fallen soldiers, and wounded warriors, or to organizations serving them.
According to the US Census Bureau, there were 21.2 million military veterans in the United States in 2012. From this number, 3.6 million veterans have a service-connected disability. Of this number 881,981 had a rating of 70 percent or higher. More than 130,000 veterans in the United States are homeless and hungry.
The following are staggering statistics:
- Nearly 1/3 of our homeless citizens are veterans. More than 4 in 10 were found unsheltered. Almost half of homeless veterans are African American.
- Nearly three million veterans and their families don’t have enough to eat each month.
- Veteran unemployment is nearly twice the national average. Nearly 1 in 10 veterans with disabilities are not employed.
- One out of every three Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans suffers from PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury or a combination of the two due to combat trauma.
- There is a backlog of 1.2 million claims at the Veterans Administration.
- Florida is the third highest in the amount of veterans living in the state at 1.6 million. In Martin County, Florida, population of 148,817, 17,579 are veterans. In 2013, there were 486 homeless people, the majority being men. In a neighboring county, St. Lucie County, there were 915 homeless people.
The Board of Directors plan to raise funds and provide financial assistance to support veterans’ needs. Their intent is to focus on the following;
- Standard of living issues, hunger and homelessness, both for the veteran and their families
- Temporary Financial Hardship, assistance with utilities, medical bills, car/house payments
- Employment issues
- Health issues for wounded warriors
- Education opportunities for children of fallen soldiers
- Care packages to active military.
- Honor flights for senior military veterans
The Board will work meet and work with collaborative partners, who provide critical programs and services, to identify veterans who need assistance, e.g. Local County Veterans Councils, Veterans Support Organization, Wounded Warriors, Feed Our Vets, DAV, VFW, Homes for Our Troops, Honor Flight Network. In most cases, The Cost of Our Freedom will provide financial assistance directly to identified veterans, or veterans’ families.
In addition, the mission of The Cost of Our Freedom Foundation also includes creating awareness in the community regarding the great sacrifice veterans have given in order to help protect our freedom.
The Board of Directors of The Cost of Our Freedom Foundation invites everyone, veterans and civilians, men and women, young and old, to join them as they stand up for those veterans who risked it all when they stood up for us, our country, and our ideals. America must continue to honor and protect those who defend us by providing the support and links necessary to help them find stability and opportunity. Veterans need support because our nation’s military veterans have served and sacrificed for The Cost of Our Freedom.